Prince Charles visited Armagh Gaol. Upon arrival HRH was greeted by the Lord-Lieutenant of County Armagh, The Rt Hon The Earl of Caledon.
Armagh Gaol dates back to between 1780 and 1819 and is an integral part of Armagh’s history – historically, politically, socially, architecturally and aesthetically. It ceased to exist as a prison in 1984. Armagh City and District Council is currently promoting a major urban regeneration project involving the old Armagh Gaol. The Council has partnered with a private property development company which previously completed, in partnership with The Prince’s Regeneration Trust, a very successful similar project in the old Gaol in Oxford.
Inside the Gaol HRH heard an outline of the building’s history from John Briggs, Chief Executive, Armagh City and District Council. Moving to the “hub” HRH met representatives of The Prince’s Regeneration Trust and the Osborne Group.
Viewing a scale model of the regeneration project, HRH heard an overview of the project from Trevor Osborne of the developer, the Osborne Group. Moving on HRH viewed the East wing, including three of the cells which will be developed into an en-suite bedroom.
Outside in the Courtyard HRH listened to an overview of the impact of the proposed development.
Meanwhile the Duchess of Cornwall attended the Big Jubilee Lunch at the Palace Demense as part of the Eden Project which is encouraging people to have lunch with their neighbour once a year.
The Duchess arrived in a horse-drawn carriage, guests at the Big Jubilee Lunch included Saints & Scholars School, Olympic Torchbearers and representatives from Freedom of the City recipients.